Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Impressions

     I recently had a chance to take a quick trip to the Philippines, a place I still call home. Though the circumstances were less than ideal, I was still glad I had the opportunity to see what it's like after being away for five years.

banks at the corner one block away from our house

     Though others may disagree, I was glad to see that at least in our neighborhood there weren't any substantial changes. The people and places have essentially stayed the same. I could still get around without feeling lost and bewildered. Some establishments may have closed, but a lot more have opened. I was happy to see a lot more eateries, a few new grocery stores and a new bakeshop or two. I only wish there were a few more banks in the area, since one major bank has already closed. Farther afield, I was surprised by the various developments for high rises that seemed to be popping up everywhere. I was to learn later on that a major tycoon is the one behind most of these real estate projects. And it's not just residential but commercial development as well. I guess the rich really keep getting richer.

a new grocery store where a bakery used to be

     I felt proud of my ability to still travel like a native, using jeepneys, tricycles and fx vans. I even rode the MRT a couple times, but didn't feel brave enough to ride the buses. But I never had to take the taxi, unless it was truly called for. Oh yeah, I still got it, hehehe. One thing I do know I will never be able to do back home is to drive. Filipino drivers follow their own rules on the road, and I'll be too nervous to compete for space. One needs to be both truly confident and aggressive to drive there.

jeepney and tricycle

     No visit back home would be complete without meeting up with friends, however quickly and briefly. I am very happy to say that I got to touch base and reform bonds with those who are closest to me. In spite of feeling tired and sleepy at the wrong moments, I truly enjoyed and cherished having those overdue conversations that no amount of emails, messages, chats or phone calls can fill. It's very nice to know that no matter long the absence, these friendships remain strong and enduring. You all know who you are, and I definitely miss you guys already!

     On a side note, I was amused to find out that Marikina, the city where I live, seems to have captured the fancy of the entertainment industry. My town of Parang has become a go to location for some tv stations when shooting their soap operas. I actually got to see one particular shoot for GMA 7's "Luna Blanca" while I was there. Ah, the perks of living right across from the town hall. Hollywood has also come avisiting, as the latest Bourne Legacy movie shot some scenes in the city proper. Apparently, a long stretch of a main road running along a major wet market there was closed to traffic during filming. I can just imagine how annoyed commuters got from the traffic jams this caused. But anyway, for those of you who might watch the movie when it comes out, know that those scenes with jeepneys and tricycles were filmed there.

Jeremy Renner on location in Marikina City, Philippines

     I don't know when I'll be able to go back again. Whenever that may be I hope it'll be for a real vacation where I can relax and enjoy myself to the utmost. Until then, I'll keep these recent memories foremost in my mind.

© Margj Castillo, Between You and Me, 2010 - Present.

2 comments:

  1. As they say, there's no place like home no matter how long or how far you have been away. May the years and distance won't put your mind off from things real important. I am so proud of what you have accomplished, and I am very happy you've not changed a bit. Looking forward to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for saying all of that, Malou. Until next time!

    ReplyDelete