Wednesday, July 28, 2010

You Drive Me Crazy

     When I was still kid, I loved to watch "Sesame Street". Apart from the song at the start of each show, there was one intro back then where they showed the steering wheel of a vehicle being driven by a child. Watching that part of the show's intro I would always think 'Wow, that is so cool! When I grow up, I want to learn how to drive!' Someone back then should have told me, be careful what you wish for.

     Now that I'm all grown up I've finally gotten my wish and for three years now I am a licensed driver. Woohoo!!! At least that's what I thought at first. Then as I've gained more experience driving, I've learned a few things: number one - driving can be scary! Number two - driving can be tiring! (Driving in traffic is the worst; it causes my knee to ache.) Number three - there are a lot of people out there who really, really, really shouldn't be out driving. And you wonder how they ever managed to pass their road test and get a license at all.

     Now I will be the first to admit, I'm still a novice driver. I make mistakes, I probably drive a few people crazy with my driving, and my husband probably has come close to peeing in his pants sometimes while he was in the passenger seat. Not that he will admit that, of course. But really, there are people out there who just really are asking for it whenever they get behind the wheel. I'm talking about the lane changers who don't use their signal lights (yes you, the woman in the red car who nearly sideswiped me one morning). The speed demons who may or may not use their turn signal when they change lanes, sometimes snaking through traffic as if they were on the race course. On the other hand are the 'turtle' drivers who either think that it's better/safer to go way below the speed limit, or they're still sleepy (if it's early in the morning), or they just feel like driving like they have all the time in the world. The drivers who try to intimidate you by the size of their, ahem, vehicle. The drivers who are so impatient, they will honk at any stationary vehicle in front of them regardless of the road conditions ahead. Then there the drivers who multitask. They text as they drive; eat as they drive; talk on the phone as they drive; put on make up; read a map; and goodness knows what else. The main point is they are not focusing on their driving. Their attention is divided. And that is scary. Coz all it takes is a split second for an accident to happen.

     Thankfully, even with all the crazy, scary stuff going on out on the roads, I have yet to get into an accident. And thankfully I have yet to turn into one of those raving, ranting drivers who either scream at full volume or mutter angrily to themselves when the other driver just did something stupid. But I do have a better understanding and a bit more sympathy now for my husband as he rants and raves while driving. It's ok, Mahal, just don't be such a backseat driver. *wink*


© Margj Castillo, Between You and Me, 2010 - Present.

2 comments:

  1. yeah such a crazy world out there. I read in one article that the car you're driving reflects your personality.

    I have no car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't drive a car so, no reflection on your personality? hehehe...peace! teka, i drive a jeep...what does that mean???

    ReplyDelete